Monday 24 May 2010

Letter of the Week - from Jenny Robinson

Dear Jules

It was so good to meet you and chat with you. Dave and I covered every inch of the Park today from 10.30 to 3.15 and I can honestly say it was the best day out we have had in a long time. We first visited the Flamingo Park as it was then, in the mid, 1980's, with our two children and remember it being one of their favourite attractions along with the Sandown zoo. It must be something to do with being able to get up close and personal with the animals. I certainly experienced that today as we went round. Even the 'caged' birds and animals didn't give the impression of being restricted. I particularly enjoyed the Oriental exhibit. Another one I found amusing was where the mother ducks were located with all their chicks. Without fail, every time a few people moved towards the wire, they all came running up as one. Appropriate really, seeing as they were the Runner Ducks!
I remember reading in the County Press some years ago about how they were experiencing problems getting the Caribbean Flamingos to breed, and putting out a request for people to supply them with mirrors to use as a backdrop to create the impression of a larger flock. It seems to have worked wonders although I noticed the mirrors are still in place.
The staff were extremely helpful especially when we were in the tropical house looking in the millipede tank. The lid was not in place and I was just thinking to myself that it had done a runner, when a member of staff came up to me and said 'I have got it here'. I was able to touch it and experience the feel of its body and see the tiny legs compared to the size of its body before she placed it back in the tank.
At the risk of waffling on too long, suffice it to say I was greatly impressed by the pristine appearance of the whole of the Park and to think it is still a work in progress in some parts. May you continue to flourish and attract visitors from both the mainland and the Island. I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it as a top-class place to visit with or without children.
I plan to return next week to make a video diary and to find out what is happening with the washroom/office!!
All the best
Jenny Robinson

I've included a photo I took earlier today of a Green-Crested Touraco ('Damian') in our Tropical House.

No comments:

Post a Comment