Thursday 12 January 2012

Keeper Charlotte’s Blog from South Africa

Table Mountain SA



Hello from South Africa!


Last Monday I left chilly England behind, and after an eleven hour flight I finally arrived in Cape Town, South Africa. Once out of the airport I was greeted with some spectacular views of Table Mountain and of course, the sunshine!


My first two weeks here have been spent visiting one of my friends who I met when I went to university in Plymouth a few years ago. Knowing someone who lives here is definitely an advantage, as we have been able to visit some of the sights that are not quite as easily accessed by most tourists.


Cape Town really is an incredible city with a rich history and diverse culture. Offering everything from wine tasting and delicious open food markets to scenic drives along the coast and some amazing wildlife.


Within five minutes of arriving at one of the bays we discovered a family of cape fur seals splashing about in the harbour (less than two metres away from us), and large kelp gulls, cape cormorants and rare oyster catchers flying overhead.


Tomorrow we are going to visit Cape Point and the surrounding nature reserve and on Saturday we will be attempting to climb Table Mountain (weather and fitness depending!). See image above of Table Mountain.


Next week I start work at SANCCOB, which I’m really looking forward to.


Best wishes to everyone at the park and back in the UK.


Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment